The holy season of Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and concludes on Holy Thursday with the celebration of the evening Mass of the Lord’s Supper. Lent is a preparation for the celebration of Easter. The Lenten liturgy disposes both catechumens and the faithful to celebrate the paschal mystery, the death and resurrection of the Lord Jesus. For catechumens, this takes place through the several stages of Christian initiation. For the faithful, this takes place through reminders of their own baptism and through penitential practices. Please check the Parish Bulletin and the Parish Website for additional information for our Parish observance of Lent.
- COLLECTION OF OLD BLESSED PALM
You are invited to bring your old blessed palm to church next Sunday and place it in the baskets near the sanctuary. This palm will be burned for the ashes for Ash Wednesday. You may also reverently dispose of your blessed palm by burning it and burying at home.
- ABSTINENCE FROM MEAT AND FASTING DURING LENT
The bishops of the United States prescribe, as minimal obligation, that all persons who are fourteen years of age and older are bound to abstain from eating meat on Ash Wednesday, on all the Fridays of Lent and Good Friday. Further, all persons eighteen years of age and older, up to and including their fifty-ninth birthday, are bound to fast by limiting themselves to a single full meal on Ash Wednesday and on Good Friday, while the other two meals on those days are to be light. Keeping a voluntary fast throughout Lent is encouraged on the part of all.
- RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION OF ADULTS
The description and schedule of the Lenten Rites for the Elect (catechumens) and Candidates for the Easter Sacraments will be announced in the Parish Bulletin all throughout Lent. These rites will take place at the 5:15 PM Anticipated Mass for Sunday.
- ASH WEDNESDAY, March 6, 2019
Blessed Ashes will be distributed at all the Masses. Mass will be celebrated on Ash Wednesday at
- 7:15 AM (Chapel)
- 12:05 PM (Basilica)
- 12:35 PM (Chapel)
- 5:15 PM (Basilica)
In addition to the celebration of Mass with the distribution of Ashes, there will be Celebrations of the Word of God and the distribution of Ashes in the hospitals and nursing facilities within the parish boundaries on Ash Wednesday.
- THE SACRAMENT OF PENANCE AND RECONCILIATION WILL BE AVAILABLE
- Sundays at 9:00 AM (Basilica), 10:30 AM (Basilica), 12:00 Noon in Spanish (Chapel) and 5:30 PM (Basilica).
- Weekdays at 11:30 AM (Basilica)
- Saturdays at 4:15 PM (Basilica)
- GOSPEL REFLECTIONS ON TUESDAY MORNINGS DURING LENT OPEN TO ALL
Each Tuesday from 11:00 AM until Noon in the Neumann Room there is an opportunity to reflect on the Gospel of the upcoming Sunday. Resources with the Scriptures are available.
- THE WAY OF THE CROSS
- Each Friday of Lent immediately following the 12:05 PM Mass in the Chapel.
- Via Crucis (Estaciones de la Cruz) a las 7:00 PM, los viernes, en la Capilla.
- The Way of the Cross in Spanish, will also take place each Friday at 7:00 PM in the Chapel.
- OPERATION RICE BOWL
By eating one simple meal weekly and placing your savings into the Rice Bowl, you will be joining yourself in solidarity with all who have so little to live on and helping to reach out to assist them throughout the world and here in the Archdiocese. Rice bowls are available in the vestibules. Your donations can be dropped off during Holy Week and the first weeks of Easter in the collection basket at Mass.
- Formed.org – Sing up for free using our Parish code: 07854f formed.org/promo/lent
FORMED is the revolutionary digital platform that gives your unprecedented access to video-based study programs, feature films, audio presentations, and eBooks from the Church’s foremost presenters.
- I Thirst Book by Mother Teresa
Allow Mother Teresa to guide you this year! With 40 short and profound meditations on Christ’s thirst for us, I Thirst is a perfect Lenten companion for any level of faith! easter.formed.org/collections/i-thirst
- Pope Benedict’s Book Jesus of Nazareth
Jesus of Nazareth: Holy WeeK: From Entrance Into Jerusalem to the Resurrection.
Available at local Catholic Stores and online